Right to Rent

From 1 February 2016, all private landlords in England will have to make right to rent checks. This means checking that tenants have the right to be in the UK.

What this means for landlords…

You need to make right to rent checks if you:

  • are a private landlord
  • have a lodger
  • are sub-letting a property

Landlords will need to see certain documents, which prove that the tenant has the right to be in the UK.

Acceptable documents include:

  • UK passport
  • EEA passport or identity card
  • permanent residence card or travel document showing indefinite leave to remain
  • Home Office immigration status document
  • certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen

Right to rent checks have been introduced as part of the government’s ongoing reforms to the immigration system and Landlords who don’t make the checks could be fined up to £3,000 if they rent out a property to someone who’s in the UK illegally.

The Home Office has put together a handy guide for Landlords on carrying out the Right to Rent checks which you can find by clicking here.

If you would like any further advice or support on the Right to Rent checks, please feel free to contact our Lettings Manager Jo Stockton on 01903 213111 or emailjostockton@michaeljones.co.uk

Content accurate at time of publishing.

Back to listing

But don’t take our word for it