Top tips for a quick sale this Spring
Spring is traditionally the best time of year to sell your home with the largest number of buyers actively looking for properties in April, May and June – Christmas is a distant memory and people aren’t away for Summer holidays yet. Spring also provides us with more daylight hours and inspires people to get out and about exploring areas that they may be thinking of moving to.
First impressions do count, particularly in the property world, so if you are thinking of selling or have had your house on the market for a while without much interest, then carry on reading for some of our top tips to maximise your homes chance of a successful sale.
Tidy-up the Garden
If your property has a front garden, it is the first thing that any potential buyer will see. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression, so maximising your property’s kerb-appeal is vital to helping potential buyers fall in love with your home. Sweep-up any leaves or debris that are left over from the winter months and try to get wheelie bins out of the way.
Give the lawn its first cut of the season if you can and remove any weeds, especially ones that are coming up through the paving.
Make these jobs a priority before the estate agent’s photographer arrives to take pictures – if you are struggling for time, you could consider hiring a local gardener for a few hours to get it done – it will be worth it in the long run.
Clean and De-clutter
Make sure to do a good clear-out before your property goes on the market to make it as attractive as possible to potential buyers.
Tidy up and de-clutter rooms and surfaces so viewers can clearly see the living space.
- Store away bulky furniture to make the room feel more spacious.
- Reduce ornaments and photos on display; particularly posters in children’s bedrooms.
- Focus on the hallway; clear away coats and shoes.
- Hide away your bathroom products.
- Ensure kitchen surfaces are free of appliances, jars and tins. Old, stained tea towels and smelly bins are a definite no, no! Spring cleaning
Clean everything until it sparkles! Try to look objectively at your home and see it through a potential buyer’s eyes. Make sure you wash windows & curtains, dust the blinds, clean the skirting boards, and wipe down kitchen appliances.
Bad smells are the single, biggest turn-off for prospective buyers. Clear drains, wash bins, open windows and air the kitchen from old cooking smells.
Repair and Freshen up
You don’t need to go overboard spending a fortune on remodelling your home but by finishing off those DIY jobs, you can maximise its appeal leaving your viewers free to focus on the positives of the property rather than on the repairs that would need doing.
- Smarten up tired paintwork or chipped woodwork.
- New toilet seats and fresh, white towels are small touches to make a positive impact.
- Ensure beds are all well-made in the bedrooms.
- Give the front door a fresh coat of bright paint to make a good first impression. Update the outside lights and put potted plants on either side of the door.
- Make any necessary repairs; holes in walls, broken doorknobs and cracked tiles are all minor repairs but potentially major turn-offs for a buyer.
Some love them, some hate them and some are allergic to them, so make sure that on the viewing pets are out of the house to prevent one of three things happening: Dog and cat
- Pet lovers will pay more attention to your pet and less attention to your home.
- Pet haters will feel uncomfortable.
- If you have a buyer that is allergic to animals, a reaction will put them off your home.
Let us do the hard work for you
Many viewers are too polite to mention any negatives or talk money when they are being shown around by the homeowners, and are more open to sharing their honest thoughts with an Estate Agent.
Our team are trained to show potential buyers around your property highlighting all of the great features that your home has to offer and answering any questions that the viewers may have, which gives you the best chance of receiving that all-important offer.
Follow these small steps to help maximise your property’s potential that will allow you to achieve a faster sale and the best possible market price for your home this Spring.
Content accurate at time of publishing.